When the summer sun starts to shine, it’s time to fire up the grill and indulge in the smoky, savory goodness of BBQ grilled chicken. Whether you’re hosting a backyard cookout, enjoying a picnic in the park, or simply craving a delicious meal, there’s no denying the irresistible flavor of perfectly grilled chicken. So, gather your family and friends, prepare your taste buds, and get ready to master the art of BBQ grilled chicken with our mouthwatering recipe.
To create the ultimate BBQ grilled chicken, gather the following ingredients:
- 4-6 bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces (such as drumsticks, thighs, or a combination)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- BBQ sauce of your choice (homemade or store-bought)
- Preheat the grill: Start by preheating your grill to medium heat. This ensures an even cooking temperature and prevents the chicken from sticking to the grates.
- Prepare the marinade: In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, minced garlic, paprika, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Mix well until all the spices are evenly incorporated.
- Marinate the chicken: Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl or a resealable plastic bag. Pour the marinade over the chicken, making sure each piece is well-coated. For maximum flavor, marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or ideally overnight.
- Grill the chicken: Once the chicken has marinated, remove it from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes. This allows for more even cooking. Place the chicken pieces on the preheated grill, skin-side down. Cook for approximately 5-7 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C).
- Apply the BBQ sauce: During the last few minutes of grilling, brush the chicken with your favorite BBQ sauce. Be generous and make sure to coat both sides. The sauce will caramelize on the chicken, adding a flavorful glaze.
- Rest and serve: Once the chicken is fully cooked and has a beautiful charred exterior, remove it from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute, ensuring tender and succulent meat. Serve your BBQ grilled chicken hot, garnished with fresh herbs or a squeeze of lemon for an extra burst of flavor.
Tips and Variations:
- Experiment with different BBQ sauce flavors such as smoky, spicy, or tangy to customize your grilled chicken according to your taste preferences.
- For a healthier option, you can remove the skin from the chicken pieces before marinating and grilling.
- If you prefer boneless chicken, adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure it is fully cooked through.
- Add a touch of sweetness by incorporating a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup to the marinade.
- For an additional layer of flavor, consider adding a few wood chips (such as hickory or mesquite) to the grill for a subtle smoky aroma.
Grilling BBQ chicken is a quintessential summer activity that brings people together and creates lasting memories. With the right marinade, a hot grill, and a delicious BBQ sauce, you can achieve tender, juicy, and flavor-packed chicken that will have everyone reaching for seconds.